Monday, December 8, 2008

Discovery Exercise #22

Almost there!

When I thought about taking this training and receiving an MP3 player, Overdrive is the first thing that came to mind. Since iPods cannot be used (yet), the Web 2.0 prize will be devoted to Overdrive books.

I have taken several training classes on Overdrive, yet still feel like I don't quite "get it." Hopefully that will change once I create my own account and start using the service myself.

I suspected that I might have created a login a long time ago, possibly during one of those initial training sessions. I can't believe that I actually remembered my PIN - on the first try at that! I like that you have the option of browsing titles by popular, fiction or non-fiction. It's very book-storish, which I'm sure many of our customers prefer. However, I was less than impressed with the "library-style" search function - something more like a normal Jaxcat search with limiters would be nice. I tried using Jaxcat, but the Overdrive version of the title did not show up, at least for the search that I performed. For now, I guess browsing and the very basic search field is all that we have to go on.

Either way, it's a good resource and I'm glad we've got it. I look forward to using it more once I've received my MP3 player.

No comments: