Monday, December 8, 2008

Discovery Exercise #21

I searched Odeo a bit, and tried browsing sports podcasts. I didn't really see anything interesting, so I entered "florida gators" into the search field. The results looked similar to what one would expect when searching Youtube. There were numerous video clips of recent games, but nothing resembling a podcast.

I then tried Podcast Alley to see how that site worked. I switched gears and went back into library mode, lest I irritate the Reference Librarians in the Sky with my sports-related searches. I tried "library news," and found a site that I wanted to subscribe to. Arizona State University produces a podcast called The Library Channel, so I tried to add it to my Bloglines account. No luck. In fact, Bloglines said that "No feeds were found. Please verify that the website publishes an RSS feed." Yes, it is published according to Podcast Alley. To double-check, I tried subscribing for it in Google Reader, and was successful.

Anyway, I used the Blogline's Quick Picks feature to find a library-related podcast to subscribe to. Resource Shelf is "a daily newsletter with resources of interest to information professionals, educators and journalists."

I guess I'm confused as to what a podcast actually is though. The podcast that I subscribe to and listen to occasionally is actual mp3s of short audio interviews. The things that I've been finding on Odeo and Podcast Alley look to be videos or text newsletters - weird.

No comments: